The quick answer. YES YOU CAN! If the wallpaper is in good condition, meaning that there’s no sign of peeling, etc. , you can absolutely paint over it. Why? Sometimes removing old wallpaper can actually damage your walls so its easier to just paint over it.
Prep It Before Painting IT
You know our motto ” the prep work is the most important work”. Prepping is crucial when your project entails painting over wallpaper. Follow these suggestions for the best results possible:
- Replace any damaged or loose sections
- Use some clear caulk on the perimeter of the walls, where the paper hits the ceiling and the floor to seal the edges
- If the wallpaper has a texture to it, apply a thin coat of joint compound or puddy to the surface to smooth it so it wont show thru after you have painted.
- Sand the seams of the wallpaper so they are not noticeable
- Apply a coat of oil based primer to the wallpaper before painting. this will help seal the wallpaper and give your paint a fresh clean look.
- Use an oil based paint to cover the wallpaper because it works better on wallpaper then latex.
Painting is clearly a very big job that requires a lot more time, effort and patience than you may have. Your best bet is to hire a professional painting contractor ct. We will handle all of the prep work for you. We are reputable company that will be sure to do a job that is perfect, professional, and clean. Call us today to schedule a free no obligation in home consultation or fill a form on our website.